Recently, Government of India decided to shift more than 177 items from 28% tax slab to 18%. Post the implementation, the GST Council has made many changes and this is a major relief for the common man as well as the sellers as the demand which was somehow hampered due to the tax slab will now increase. Also, the Finance Minister of India has also hinted on merging 18% and 28% tax slabs.
The merger has not yet happened however there is a buzz that it will improve the GDP of India and also the common man will get relief. But let us see if it actually a boon to us or is the government just trying to hide its biased behaviour.
List of Products that have become costlier after GST
- Sanitary Pads
- Mobile bills along with Internet packs
- Hotel and restaurant bills
- Transportation, including air travel, railways, and cab services
- Luxury cars
- Cigarettes/other tobacco products
- Courier/DTH services
- Aerated drinks, for example, Coca Cola, Pepsi, etc.
Whatever it is, the implementation of GST tax rate on sanitary pads has not got any appreciation from anyone in the country or the world. The government needs to think again if this naturally occurring in a women’s life is actually a privilege for which the tax has to be paid? As per the data, more than 70% of the women do not use sanitary pads due to the lack of money or unawareness regarding the same which results in major health issues. But, the government does not care about the mass and is only fussing over the fact that it is for the benefits of the people. What about the women?
Latest GST rates in India item wise
- 0% GST Rate List– Milk, fruits, vegetables, bread, salt, bindi, curd, sindoor, natural honey, bangles, handloom, besan, flour, eggs, stamps, printed books, judicial papers, and newspapers.
- 5% GST Rate List- Skimmed milk powder, fish fillet, frozen vegetables, coffee, coal, fertilizers, tea, spices, pizza bread, kerosene, ayurvedic medicines, agarbatti, sliced dry mango, insulin, cashew nuts, unbranded namkeen, lifeboats etc.
- 12% GST Rate List- Frozen meat products, butter, cheese, ghee, pickles, sausage, fruit juices, namkeen, tooth powder, medicine, umbrella, instant food mix, cell phones, sewing machine, man-made yarn, etc.
- 18% GST Rate List– Refined sugar, cornflakes, pasta, pastries and cakes, preserved vegetables, tractors, ice cream, sauces, soups, mineral water, stones used in flooring other than marble & granite, stationery items like clips, some diesel engine parts, some parts of pumps. From November 9, 2017 onwards, some of the items that were previously under 28% tax slab have been shifted to 18% tax slab. These items include handmade furniture and plastic products, shower baths, sinks, wash basins, bidets, lavatory pans, seats and covers, flushing cisterns and similar sanitary ware of plastics, chocolates, chewing gum, shaving cream, aftershave kits, beauty products, granite and marble. The GST Council has decided to keep only 50 items, mostly demerit, sin and luxury goods.
- 28% GST Rate List– Until today, over 200 goods were taxed at a rate of 28%. But, the GST rates item wise list has only 50 items.
GST Rates Item Wise List
Item Earlier GST rate Revised GST rate
Aam Papad 12% 5%
Khakda and Papad 12% 5%
Non-branded Namkeen 12% 5%
Non-branded Ayurvedic 12% 5%
& Homeopathy medicines
Nylon, Polyester and Acrylic 18% 12%
Handmade thread 18% 12%
Poster colors 28% 18%
Moulding paste 28% 18%
Selective stationery items 28% 18%
Selective parts of Diesel engine 28% 18%
GST rates for services
Services- Hotels and lodges with tariff below ₹1000, special case service has been exempted under GST. Rough precious and semi-precious stones will attract GST rate of 0.25%.
Services- Transport services (Railways, air transport), and small restaurants.
Services- State-run lotteries, Non-AC hotels, business class air ticket, fertilisers, work contracts.
Services- AC hotels that serve liquor, telecom services, IT services, branded garments and financial services, Room tariffs between ₹2,500 and ₹7,500, Restaurants inside five-star hotels.
Services- Private-run lotteries authorised by the states, hotels with room tariffs above ₹7,500, 5-star hotels, race club betting.
GST rates item wise list PDF
If you want to check the detailed list of items under each GST tax slab, you can download the PDF from the official website of Goods and Service Tax (GST). The PDF will include each and every good and services under each tax rate slab.